JOB TITLE: Shelter Manager
REPORTS TO: Crisis Services Director
PURPOSE: To provide safe shelter and basic needs such as food, clothing and transportation to victims of sexual or domestic violence in the SOS service area. Oversee all maintenance for the shelter, shelter grounds and vehicles. Provide support to shelter residents, ensuring that they are comfortable in their surroundings and have a good understanding of shelter rules.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: An ability to work with a variety of people, including those of different races, cultures, and socio-economic backgrounds. Demonstrate a client-focused environment that encourages empowerment of all shelter residents. Good organizational and time management skills. Good communication skills, client-centered orientation. Ability to represent the agency outside the shelter in a positive and professional manner.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of sexual, domestic violence, stalking, human trafficking and issues pertaining to the oppression of victims. Bilingual (English and Spanish) language preferred, but not necessary.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Help shelter residents to maintain a safe clean and healthy environment for themselves.
- Supervise the Shelter Support Advocate.
- Supervise all maintenance of the shelter, shelter grounds, and vehicles, including arranging needed repairs, making sure appliances, etc. are in good working condition.
- Adhere to procedures and policies, including confidentiality when coordinating repairs.
- Participate in weekly case staffing, monthly staff meetings, and supervision as arranged.
- Document contacts and other imperative client information per agency policies and procedures for database and grant documentation.
- Help with grant reporting as appropriate.
- Oversee yearly fire inspection and fire extinguisher inspection.
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator with arranging shelter coverage.
- Provide support to shelter residents using an empowerment approach, maintaining professional boundaries and encouraging open dialogue of resident needs and concerns to the assigned advocate, Crisis Services Director, or Executive Director, as appropriate.
- Provide on-call relief with other staff.
- Monitor helpline during scheduled work hours.
- Facilitate weekly House Meetings and Support Groups with shelter residents.
- Assist in maintaining the storage and garage areas and help disperse furniture and items to clients when moving to permanent housing.
- Coordinate yearly shelter clean-up with Crisis Services staff.
- Attend professional trainings and conferences as well as participate in webinars to broaden knowledge on domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and human trafficking.
- Participate in prevention programs and presentations.
- Other duties as assigned by the SOS Executive Director, including complying with grant goals, objectives and reports.
STATUS: Full time/Non-Exempt
SOS is an equal opportunity employer.
Send interest letter and resume to Connie Cahoone, SOS, Box 1191, Emporia, KS 66801 or email email@example.com
THE MISSION OF SOS
To improve the lives of those affected by sexual and domestic violence, child abuse and neglect.